Friday, October 5, 2012

Dia de los Muertas - Goddess of the Dead comp sketches

These are the sketches - basically my brain splatted on paper - for my upcoming painting for Dia de los Muertas. When I sketch, it tends to be super loose, and unfinished looking, simply because they are thoughts and ideas, that will lead toward the finished piece - but are definitely NOT the finished piece. They are unrendered, scribbly, and to the point; a visual record for me to remember the details (and oh my will there be a lot of details!). 

I have some decision making to do. That's always the hardest part for me, because I see many directions the painting could go, but only have the inspiration to execute the theme once. 

Thankfully, I do seem to have the colour pallet already envisioned, and that's half the battle. I'm thinking crimson red, paynes grey and midnight blue, and some yellows. There may also be a lot of grey, black, and pops of teal here and there. Check out my inspiration board >> here.




This is how it looks without brightening it. 


The girl above's legs

Each painting has a story, and as I draw and colour the piece, the story starts to reveal itself to me. It feels like a lot of pressure to do it justice - show it how it deserves to be shown, and not let myself or it down. Makes me believe in the Grecian idea of muses as actual beings, and how they affect an artist & their motivation/inspiration to create. I can't let my muse down! :)

Anyway, I hope you, I, and my muse will love the finished piece. Tonight or tomorrow I will start the pencil drawing (I draw right on the paper, no image transferring from sketches because a. my sketches suck, b. I don't have the patience for that, and c. I like to make changes to the comp at the last second).

Before I start to paint it with colour, I'm thinking I might do some colour tests in my new watercolour sketchbook. I think it's a good idea for me, because there's been times where I've loved an inked drawing, and then I colour it to shat >> example

Well, wish me luck, and hopefully it'll turn out awesome. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is read and appreciated! I love hearing your thoughts! :)
Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...