Thursday, January 10, 2013

Advice from a Professional - my response

One of my favourite artists, Kelly Mckernan, wrote a little article called 'Advice from a Professional'. The way the article was presented has caused a bit of an uproar in the art community, especially to those favouring anime styled art. I think everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and that there is often more than one way to reach a goal, so I was very interested in hearing Kelly's opinion.

Give it a read over, and let me know what you think! :)

Here was my response to her article:


"I think your statement/advice came from a good place, but it does come off a bit judgmental/preachy. I think there are many ways to reach success as an artist, and many ways that different artists learn their technical skills and develop their style.
I admire your success, and as an emerging artist myself would very much like to be in a similar position one day, but my technical skills, at least in my opinion, haven't been achieved through any serious study in realism or anatomy - just lots and lots of practice drawing, evaluating, and drawing again. I did take a few years worth of life drawing classes in university, as well as other illustration and painting courses, and while I learned some new skills, I don't feel that it has overwhelmingly affected my own skills and style. My route has been about scribbling and splashing paint around until it looks "right" on the paper, rather than studying photographs. I'm not saying that I'll never try those kinds of techniques in my style of work, but it's not an approach that feels natural or pleasurable to me (which is why I draw and paint in the first place).
I believe the path to success in the arts is different for everyone, and this path has worked extremely well for you (and your advice will help others), but it won't work for everyone, and shouldn't be thought of as an end all, be all by those reading it.
Anyway, I hope I didn't come off rude or anything, just wanted to add my two cents. :)"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is read and appreciated! I love hearing your thoughts! :)
Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...