Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Art!

Yesterday I took advantage of the sunlight and worked on some art (after a very exhaustive day of looking at houses with a friend). I've also been doing a lot of small scribbly sketches, planning out the ideas and compositions of future pieces. 

My friend Steph and I have been discussing working together on an art show together (for my Cryptic Femina theme). I have so many ideas for my pieces... I just hope they turn out as I imagine them. The art show, if it is approved, won't happen for at least a year, maybe a year and a half, depending on what the galleries say. But if it does go forward, I will be over the moon!

I also got some paper clay, and plan on making my first doll. I tried using polymer clay, but it just isn't the medium for me. I found sculpting fun, but the baking process was unpredictable and smelly (old, slightly broken oven is to blame lol). And I can't use my 'familiar' mediums to paint the finished doll, because the clay doesn't absorb paint. But I'm hoping paper clay will, so that I can use markers, watercolours, and ink. I'm also pretty excited about sewing a miniature dress too. Reminds me of my childhood, when I tried to make clothes for my barbies (I hope this project turns out better haha).

I've got another ambitious plan, where I want to create a shadow box for the doll, that will sit on the wall, like an art installation. Inside the box, will be a little world that belongs solely to her, created using collage, and mixed media techniques. I have a few themes I'd like to do, like Marie Antoinette and Sleepy Hollow. I can't wait to make this project a reality, but until then, it exists only in my head, and a pound of clay.  

Here are some snaps of the artwork in progress:

a pink haired lady doodle
I'm really slow at putting the finishing touches on a piece. I'm not sure why, but I always hesitate, waiting for the painting to tell me what it needs next.

close up of my dryad painting

ink drawing on sketch paper

Well I have lots of work to do, and art to finish up. Until next time!

4 comments:

  1. Artttt!! So awesome to see your WIPs, Sasha and even better to see you arting it up once again. Ooo! You're going to be making dolls?! Sweet! Are you going to be going for ball jointed? I wish you so much luck in getting a gallery showing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented Sasha, it's wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice paint...nice and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look lovely, I really do love your style.
    And a paper clay doll sounds great, can't wait to see what you create
    x

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is read and appreciated! I love hearing your thoughts! :)
Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...