Sunday, July 28, 2013

7 Self-Discipline Techniques

I found this really great article on self-discipline, and thought I'd share it with you guys. >> read it here <<

I struggle with motivation and self-discipline in my life, so I am always on the lookout for reminders and tips on how to live a happy, productive life.

Having self-discipline in your life can make you go from fat to fit, poor to rich, sad to happy. It's the secret behind 'The Secret'; focusing all of your energy/time/thought into achieving a goal, and making it a reality. If you think about it, it's pretty freaking magical. You can dream something up - almost anything - and with enough determination, you can make it a real thing.

Take art for example - at an early age I had an interest in drawing, and I just... kept drawing. The skill evolved over time to become what it is now, and it's still evolving. It was easy for me to keep drawing because I loved doing it. It didn't really take self-discipline (at least in the early stages, but learning to paint with watercolours etc.. did take focused thought/time to learn).

But there's many facets to a person's life, some of which DO need self-discipline because they are not necessarily enjoyable things to do (but must get done). For example, exercise, eating healthy, doing your homework if you're in school, keeping up with all of your obligations, doing taxes, etc...

So how do force yourself to be responsible and get those things done that you need to do? That's what I have a problem with. It's a mixture of laziness and not caring, or something like that. Maybe that's depression?

But, the interesting thing I learned in this article is that self-discipline is a whole other thing. You make a set of 'rules' for yourself, and there's no ifs, ands or buts, it's an absolute. You have to do it. Your day isn't over until you - take out the garbage, scrub the bathtub, or eat a serving of vegetables. Whatever you need to do, you just do it. No sleep until it's done!

So with that said, I'm going to stop procrastinating, get dressed, and go to the thriftstore and see if there's any pretty summer skirts in my size. I will report back with photos of my findings ^_~

Are you self-disciplined? Do you need to be more disciplined in your life? What did you think of the article?

1 comment:

  1. I can always use more self discipline in my life, I am kind of using this with my exercise... I am just doing it, even when I don't feel like doing it... I am always grateful that I did:)

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is read and appreciated! I love hearing your thoughts! :)
Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...