Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Mists of Avalon

Hello everyone!

I've been a bit vacant from the art world lately. I've been going through some health problems, and hopefully will be on the mend very soon. I can't wait to get back into gear and start making lots of art again!

Anyway, I have a piece in the Femme Thou Art Collective's July auction - the theme is The Mists of Avalon (and other Arthurian legends). I was so excited when it was chosen as an auction theme, as it was my suggestion! This month's auction is truly gorgeous; there's so many beautiful pieces I wish I could take home with me!

This is the piece I created, entitled 'Morgaine' (more commonly known as Morgana). Her story is mysterious, magical, passionate, vengeful, and also quite sad. I've seen many incarnations of her character (the show Merlin was one of my favourites), and I've always felt a kinship with her.

The Mists of Avalon - Morgaine - Morgana
I wanted to focus on Morgaine's ability of parting the mists that shrouded Avalon, and being able to see the magical world that lay beyond the veil. The mist would cling around the trees and bushes, framing the island in an eerie, mysterious way. I pictured Morgaine herself as independent yet vulnerable, perhaps a little bit bohemian with her hair and dress, and her companion 'the raven' at her side.

I used a very cool colour pallet - lots of blues - to help convey a mood of darkness and mystery.

I really hope you all love her as much I as I do! If you'd like to bid on the original piece, and/or take a look at the other gorgeous pieces in the auction, check it out here:

Mists of Avalon Original Art Auction

In other news, I have another auction coming up in August for the Copycat Violence Artist Collective. I'm not sure if I will feel well enough to finish a piece for it, but I'm certainly going to try! The theme is "Not a single F was given'. I have some interesting ideas swirling around that are quite different from this Morgaine piece. But we'll see if those come to fruition soon!

I also have a group show coming up in September at Thumbprint Gallery. I really really hope I am feeling well enough to make some pieces for it. It'll be my first BIG show, and I'd be exhibiting with so many artists I admire, like Jel Ena, Kmye Chan, Stephanie Law, and more! It's hard to pass up an opportunity like that even if you feel sick.

There's also a big move on the horizon for me - to Kelowna! But more on that later. I hope you're all having a wonderful summer, and feeling super happy and creative! Drop me a comment and let me know what's been going on in your life! :)

1 comment:

  1. Sasha I hope you feel better soon... and wow to the big move ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is read and appreciated! I love hearing your thoughts! :)
Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...